EPIC engineered, designed and fabricated a custom solution to recycle power cells using high speed machine automation. A series of fast, mechanical actions, timed by the automated controls, disassemble canisters and separate materials at high rates.
CLIENT: Fortune 500 Company
INDUSTRY: Personal Power Industry
- Allen Bradley Compact Logix PLC – for machine automation
- Servo motor that turns a reciprocating table with embedded linear cams. Cam plate motion moves the grippers to separate the materials
- Continuous motion disassembly
- Unique combination of rotary motion and linear motion
- Power cells had multiple elements in close proximity which required delicate manipulation to separate. Near perfect timing is required to achieve the production rates.
- Internal power cell elements required careful machine material selection to maintain application robustness
- Required multiple prototyping development stages
- The required production rate and available factory space required a very compact machine design